Sunday, March 2, 2014

I've always wanted to be somebody's Songbird

I used to listen to Oasis a lot more than I do now.
It's not that they're bad and my taste has moved from them, but merely because I've had fun exploring other genres and styles. Where I only had 10 musicians I loved, I now have 100.
However, this isn't exactly about their music, but rather, about a specific song. Songbird.

There's a lot of songs that are based in romance. Many more than I could even begin to count. Some more romantic than this, some less. I'm a huge fan of The Beatles, and they have written so many songs that I've longed after, but there's something about Oasis's Songbird that rattles through my heart. See, I've always wanted to be somebody's Songbird.

                                      "Gonna write a song so she can see,
                                         give her all the love she gives to me, 

                                         talk of better days that have yet to come, 
                                         I've never felt this love from anyone"

     Can you just imagine having somebody feel that way about you? That's enough emotion to turn even the most sadistic fuck into a melted pool. Maybe it's the cheery little ditty-tune they have, maybe it's the change in Gallagher's voice when he sings it. It's not my favourite love song, not by any means, but it is the one that has always made me wish to be that to somebody else.

There are but a few songs that make me feel this way. Many are lovely songs from The Beatles.
If you're thinking of the medley of songs chosen for "Across the Universe", I'm sorry but you can turn to another blog now. While they're sweet songs, they're not the sweetest.
Take "I Will" for example. There's no comparison to that one.
            

                                        "And when at last I found you
                                     Your love will fill the air
                                     Make it loud so I can hear you
                                     Make it easy to be near you
                                     All the things you do endear you to me
                                     Oh, you know I will
                                     Love you forever and forever
                                     Love you with all my heart
                                     Love you whenever we're together
                                     Love you when we're apart"

Come on, people. Don't tell me that "I want to hold your hand" beats that. Fuck off.
As an avid Beatles fan, I didn't like Across the Universe. In my opinion, they used the lesser songs done by the band.  They could have gotten the urgency of romance across with much better song selection than they did. It was pretty bad. Can you imagine if they'd used "Til There Was You" instead of "I want to hold your hand"?
Ugh. Whoever chose the songs to cover.. You need to find a new job.

Anyway, back on my point.
I can only hope to one day be the Songbird to someone, the one who makes their heart sing.
It would be such a beautiful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment